The Low Carbohydrate Diet
By Dr. Fred Hui
The diet I found most effective and easy-to-follow for most patients is the low carb diet.
A low carb diet not only helps to reach your ideal weight faster, but is also what I recommend for optimal blood sugar control (in case of diabetics)
Here is a brief summary of this diet below:
You should AVOID:
(1) Fruits ————————- (apples, bananas, grapes, pineapple, oranges, mangoes)
(2) All fruit juices and pop — (apple juice, tropical drinks, pepsi, sprite etc)
(3) Sugar, honey, artificial sweetener or any food that contain these (cake, chocolate, diet pop)
(4) Dairy products————– ( No milk, chocolate milk, white coffee, cream, icing BUT cheese and yoghurt are alright)
(1) Bread ————————-(all sorts of bread –rye/whole wheat/white)
(2) Pasta ————————- (noodles, kraft dinners, macaroni, spaghetti, lasagna)
(3) Cereals and rice
(4) Root vegetables like carrots, beets, potatoes etc, and some others like tomatoes and corn.
Starches convert to sugars in the body and hence must be avoided.
You may HAVE:
↑↑Meat———————– (Chicken, beef, bacon, pork, goat, turkey)
↑↑Seafood ——————-(fish, shrimp, calamari, mussels)
↑↑Cold cuts —————–(salami, ham, bacon)
↑↑Eggs ————————( chicken eggs, duck eggs)
↑↑GreenVegetables——–(lettuce, spinach, peppers, broccoli, celery, parsley, cucumbers, cauliflower)
↑↑Cheese ——————- (cheddar, mozzarella, goat cheese, cream cheese)
↑↑Nuts ———————–( walnuts, peanuts, cashew nuts, pistachios, almonds)
↑↑Oils (esp olive oil) / butter
↑↑Avocado and olives
Other : Yoghurt (Balkan style yoghurt)
In short, you may have plenty of bacon and eggs, but say “NO” to the toast. Similarly, you can have all of your pizza toppings and cheese, but stay away from the base.
The best part about this diet is that you never have to go hungry. You may satisfy all your food cravings with the allowed foods above – and in the process, it’s proven to be effective for shedding extra pounds and in helping to keep blood sugar levels well regulated.
Some mild-moderate form of exercise will help to accelerate the weight loss, like running on a treadmill, taking walks or just jumping on the spot! Take your weight on Day 1 and see how you drop pounds in just 2 weeks. Say hello to a healthier lifestyle and a slimmer you!