Ozone high dose Major Autohemotherapy
By Dr. Johann C. Lahodny, MD
Ozone is a highly active oxygen a biological agent with health-promoting and healing properties. By combining with blood creates an oxygen-ozone mixture, which causes healing or significant improvement in almost all diseases.
Everyone possesses a large amount of stem cells. These cells are undifferentiated cells that move to diseased organs to transform into organ-specialized cells and repair them. While the cost of cultivating stem cells runs over forty thousand Euros, the High Dose Ozone Therapy stimulates the production of stem cells and repairs the diseased organ in as little as 2 days.
High Dose Ozone therapy. Fields of application:
1. Complementary therapy in all cancers. Through direct tumoral-inhibiting effect of oxygen-ozone mixtures, by anti-tumor effect of oxygen-induced interferon production by enormous increase in immune cells and enzyme release. High doses of ozone are able to reduce both primary cancer tumors and cancer metastasis. You can achieve amazing success in late stage cancer.
HDO therapy is to be used also for all treatment-resistant chronic diseases such as psoriasis, Parkinson disease and multiple sclerosis.
2. Activation of the immune system. High Dosage Ozone produces a 10-fold increase of eosinophils (highly active immune cells) and an increase in cytotoxic T8-lymphocytes, which are also responsible for tumor cell destruction.
3. Inflammation-related diseases. HDO action is based on a direct blockade of pro-inflammatory substances (cytokines) and massive proliferation of immune cells. Chronic sinusitis (maxillary sinusitis), sinusitis (frontal sinusitis), middle ear infections, sore throat and fever blisters experienced a rapid and permanent cure using HDO. No other therapy brings such effective aid in these chronic recurrent inflammations. Conventional medical antibiotics relief the suffering is briefly, with the dissadvantage of weakening the immune system and damaging the mitochondria to the point of switching it off completely. A speedy new onset of inflammation is the result.
4. Circulatory disorders. Ozone Oxygen is the most effective circulation improvement with very rapid results. I have witnessed very impressive effects of the HDO when treating circulatory disorders in the brain, cardiovascular diseases, hair loss, macular degeneration and tinnitus.
In retinal calcification and dry macular degeneration ozone therapy is the only measure which brings an improvement. All conventional medical therapies are only able to slow the deterioration. The ozone therapy is achieved an improvement in visual performance of 30-40%, with a remaining visual function (visual acuity) of more than 10 percent. The macular degeneration (retinal calcification) usually begins in the 60th to 70th year of a patient’s life. It is primarily a disease of old age, which is increasing greatly. More and more people are diagnosed earlier with it. Therefore, prevention is the most important measure. Macular degeneration can calcify the arteries of the retina and cause vision loss or, in some cases, blindness. When HDO is applied on an extended basis, arteries can be healed to become normal, fully functional vessels again.
It also supports the Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) forming new blood vessels in the retina, which leads to vision improvement in bad initial condition or restoration of normal vision at the onset of macular degeneration. Macular degeneration can be prevented by timely oxygen therapy or can be successfully treated in late stages. Oxygen therapy is always combined with orthomolecular measures. Many conventional medical practitioners reject the oxygen therapy. I have obtained beautiful results in chronically ill patients that were unsuccessfully treated before, and that inspires my job satisfaction.
The situation is similar with the ill-bleeding heart muscle. By stimulating the production of prostacyclin the smallest heart muscle arteries are expanded to normal vessels. Thus, the myocardial perfusion is restored first, even with almost closed coronary arteries, so that with 20 ozone therapy sessions bypass surgery is almost unnecessary. This is probably achieved by stimulating VEGF, which promotes neovascularization, which in a sense represents a newly created heart muscle. Heart attack and heart failure could be avoided with timely and sufficient oxygen therapy. Improving myocardial performance eliminates fatigue.
Second, the general physical performance is improved within a few hours by the very rapid vasodilation in the heart muscle, but also in all other organs such as liver, kidney and lung – which is why oxygen is a doping agent in use.
For hair loss, the decay of hair roots is brought about by poor circulation. No pharmaceutical drug improves blood circulation so sustainably. After 10-15 oxygen therapies hair begins to grow again. The almost atrophied blood vessels in the hair roots are greatly enhanced by prostacyclin and new vessels are formed. In addition, the removal of toxins and acid is intensified. Because in places where there were no hair (hairline at the forehead and receding hairline – angulation) new hair grows, the rejuvenation must be carried out by the ozone oxygen formation of new hair follicles. Probably the remains of almost entirely perished hair papillae are stimulated to new growth. Apparently, individual hair root remnants are ripened by special growth factors which bring about new hair roots. Many small hairs begin to sprout, so that some patients feel almost restored to their youth; a boundless sense of rejuvenation.
Oxygen gives the hair its former vitality, strengthening and thickening it. This gives women in particular a new quality of life.
Hearing loss is also based primarily on a circulatory disorder. Usually I see a significant hearing improvement after 10 -12 oxygen treatments, even if was treated by conventional medicine without success for years. Cardiac arrhythmia, poorly healing wounds, heart attack and stroke, dizziness, headache, migraine insofar as it does not come from the spine, tinnitus sudden deafness, dyslipidemia, pathologically elevated blood liver function tests (AST, ALT, LDH, gamma GT, alkaline phosphatase) and elevated blood kidney values are all normalized by oxygen. To restablish the coronary arteries and the rest of the arteries, there are other very effective complementary medical measures in addition to the oxygen therapy.
5. Detoxifying effect. Oxygen and ozone therapy brings about a rapid excretion of toxins and heavy metals. Excessive accumulation of toxins and heavy metals, especially lead, cadmium and aluminum cause tiredness, exhaustion, physical and mental performance weakness, premature aging, sleep problems, susceptibility to infection and age spots. The oxygen-related detoxification can cause the above mentioned symptoms to resolve.
6. Energy supply. A particularly current and increasing disease is the burnout syndrome (general exhaustion). In orthodox medicine, the burnout syndrome is usually not treated very successfully with months of sleeping pills, tranquillizers and anti-depressants in high doses. In Burn Out Syndrome (exhaustion), the entire body is full of toxins and totally de-energized. The toxins in the body block the function of the excretory organs and the immune system. Damaged mitochondria are responsible for the fatigue. Ozone therapy assists in detoxification, rehabilitation and proliferation of mitochondria, as the mitochondria make energy from oxygen molecules. As complementary therapy, Dr. Lahodny uses vitamins, trace elements, amino acids and electrolytes. With his protocol, burn-out syndrom is cured 3 weeks. All patients who were treated with oxygen due to other diseases report that fatigue fades, sleep improves and their hair grows.
7. Fascinating and impressive are the cosmetic effects on the face and body skin. The oxygen manages a new formation and growth of collagen and elastin in the skin. The elastine is improved by certain growth factors. These results cannot be reached to the same extent by externally applied cosmetics. HDO works better against wrinkles than any ointment combinations. Wrinkles are significantly reduced at 15 treatments – Most are after 10.
When intense sunlight oxygen acts as a protection against UV-induced skin damage. Furthermore, the natural aging process of the skin is slowed down by the massive blood flow improvement. The skin undergoes a tightening and firming. The detoxification and cleansing is best shown by the lightening or complete removal of age spots on the hands and arms. To remove stubborn age spots up to 20 treatments are necessary.
8. Elimination of spider veins. Very often spider veins are found on the face and on the legs in women and men. Many patients suffer from varicose veins. A disease which is not only unsightly but also sometimes causes severe pain and impaired general circulation. Some of the venous valves function are turned off, which results in strong leg thickening. HDO produces a swelling of the inner wall of the smallest arteries and veins lining cells (endothelial cells). This expands the diameter of the smallest vessels, increasing the blood flow to the vein walls. As a result, spider veins actually completely disappear. The improvement in blood circulation of vein walls decreases the diameter of large varicose veins and eliminates small varicose veins. With joy, patients report that their old leg and varicose vein pain were cured permanently with oxygen treatment. For these patients, their performance and quality of life is improved.
9. Gynecological Disorders. Ozone eliminates menstrual pain, normalizes blood flow abnormalities and improves ovarian function. Patients who have suffered for years despite medical therapy usually feel free from pain after 10 -12 oxygen treatments. Very heavy bleeding that was not diminished by high doses of progestins, Cyklokapron and vitamin K could be completely stopped by a few oxygen treatments. No additional treatments were necessary. In other patients, long-standing missed periods and irregular menstruations were regulated with oxygen, bringing the patients back to normal cycles. Facial swelling due to progesteron deficiency is eliminated with 10-15 oxygen treatments. Ovarian problems with missing ovulation and infertility could be successfully treated by administration of oxygen. Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) with hirsutism, circulatory disorders and infertility is a domain of oxygen therapy. Endometriosis also heals successfully with oxygen.
naturalnews.com printable article
Originally published November 2 2011
Amino acid therapy for depression, anxiety, ADHD, addiction and more
by Mike Bundrant
(NaturalNews) I’ve recently learned a lot about amino acid therapy from the medical director of Ranch Creek Recovery, a holistic drug and alcohol recovery facility located near San Diego, CA. Ranch Creek Recovery offers long-term residential treatment for severe addictions and amino acid therapy plays an important role in their success with patients.
Michael Orian, N.D., heads up the medical team at RCC. It’s refreshing to see an N.D. in charge of treatment, when typical drug rehabs only offer conventional approaches to treatment. Moreover, amino acid therapy may very well represent a breakthrough in the treatment for neurotransmitter imbalance. In a recent interview with him, he revealed the following.
Neurotransmitter imbalances have been linked to several diseases including Parkinson’s, depression, insomnia, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, anxiety, memory loss, weight gain, and addictive disorders. These neurotransmitters are formed in our bodies from amino acid precursors. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. Without the proper levels of these amino acids, we cannot survive, as proteins are responsible for the structure of our cells in addition to their function.
In the conventional management of diseases, such as depression and anxiety disorders, patients are often prescribed medications such as SSRIs (Celexa, Prozac and Zoloft) or SNRIs (Effexor, Pristiq and Cymbalta) to increase circulating levels of neurotransmitters. By increasing the neurotransmitters serotonin and norepinephrine, they are able to bind to receptors leading to changes in mental function and stabilization of many mood disorders.
There have been deficiencies in several neurotransmitters associated with ADHD including dopamine, norepinephrine and acetylcholine. Once again, conventional treatment of this disorder often involves the administration of a medication that alters transport of these neurotransmitters within the brain such as Adderall and Strattera.
The use of pharmaceutical intervention can be successful in some patients, however, we are all individuals and may not all fit into the same box. Rather then changing the body’s use of amino acids through altered transport, one alternative is to supplement amino acid precursors to neurotransmitters. While amino acid supplementation for the purpose of replenishing neurotransmitters has been a controversial topic in the medical community for many years now, in clinical practice, I have seen dramatic responses to oral amino acid supplementation for some of the above-mentioned diseases.
Typically, amino acids can be obtained through proper diet in a healthy individual. However, in the presence of disease, such as depression or addiction, it may be difficult to obtain proper amino acid levels through diet alone. Therefore, we may need to supplement amino acid precursors in a concentrated form to achieve proper circulating levels that can impact our health.
By supplementing precursor amino acids such as tryptophan, tyrosine and glutamine, we are feeding our bodies with the building materials needed to make the neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, and GABA, among others. For this conversion to take place, however, we also need coenzymes and cofactors such as vitamin C, folate, and SAMe which may be safely administered through an IV by a qualified health care professional.
In the context of addiction, particularly to drugs and alcohol, an individual may have severe imbalances in their neurotransmitter levels resulting in symptoms of depression, anxiety, insomnia, and jitteriness among others. This is often compounded by overt vitamin and mineral imbalances and poor absorption of nutrients through the intestines, causing problems in the body’s innate ability to form neurotransmitters. By supplementing amino acids along with vitamins, minerals, and coenzymes, we can often reestablish proper levels of circulating neurotransmitters, thus minimizing or potentially eliminating side effects of withdrawal.
Often in the treatment of drug and alcohol addiction medications for depression, anxiety, and insomnia are prescribed to quell these symptoms. Through altering brain chemistry these pharmaceuticals can be effective, however, the medicines themselves are affecting the body’s own ability to produce and properly utilize neurotransmitters. By supplementing amino acids and supporting the body’s ability to utilize them through IV nutrition, exercise and adrenal support, we help move the individual closer to a balanced state of health rather then simply suppressing symptoms.
Sources for this article include:
About the author:
Watch the free video The AHA! Process: An End to Self-Sabotage and discover the lost keys to personal transformation and emotional well-being that have been suppressed by mainstream mental health for decades.
The information in this video has been called the missing link in mental health and personal development. In a world full of shallow, quick-fix techniques, second rate psychology and pharmaceutical takeovers, real solutions have become nearly impossible to find. Click here to watch the presentation that will turn your world upside down.
Mike Bundrant is co-founder of the iNLP Center and host of Mental Health Exposed, a Natural News Radio program.
Follow Mike on Facebook for daily personal development tips.
Watch the free video The AHA! Process: An End to Self-Sabotage and discover the lost keys to personal transformation and emotional well-being that have been suppressed by mainstream mental health for decades. The information in this video has been called the missing link in mental health and personal development. In a world full of shallow, quick-fix techniques, second rate psychology and pharmaceutical takeovers, real solutions have become nearly impossible to find. Click here to watch the presentation that will turn your world upside down. Mike Bundrant is co-founder of the iNLP Center and host of Mental Health Exposed, a Natural News Radio program. Follow Mike on Facebook for daily personal development tips.
All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Truth Publishing LLC takes sole responsibility for all content. Truth Publishing sells no hard products and earns no money from the recommendation of products. NaturalNews.com is presented for educational and commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice from any licensed practitioner. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. For the full terms of usage of this material, visit www.NaturalNews.com/terms.shtml
by Dr. Fred Hui M.D.
Integrative Medicine-CAN WE ALTER THE COURSE OF AUTOIMMIUNE OR
CHRONIC LUNG DISEASE?
IS THERE A WAY TO FIGHT CHRONIC TIREDNESS?
HOW CAN YOU ‘FAN’ YOUR BODY FURNANCES?
HYDROGEN PEROXIDE MAY BE THE ANSWER!
You may have used hydrogen peroxide as an antiseptic or to bleach your hair or skin. But you will be surprised to know that this simple liquid can also be used for many health problems such as autoimmune diseases, chronic lung diseases, cardiovascular diseases and many viral, fungal and bacterial infections for which traditional medicine may have failed to offer much.
How does it work?
Once in circulation, hydrogen peroxide is broken down into oxygen and water by two circulating enzymes called Catalase and Cytochrome C. You can see this happening from the following equation:
Hydrogen Peroxide — Water + Oxygen
(H2O2 — H2O + O)
Water goes out in the urine and singlet oxygen so released has many good effects in our body.
It can freshen up your body like Ozone does your home:
Sometimes you get your house sprayed with ozone to refresh it. This is because it releases oxygen, which binds carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is excreted into the air from automotive exhausts and furnaces. This is a dangerous gas because it has a strong affinity for our red blood cells, the vehicle that carries oxygen from the lungs to all parts of our body. Carbon monoxide occupies the ‘seats’ in this ‘vehicle’ and no room is left for oxygen to travel where needed. The seats can only be vacated if you supply extra oxygen.
Hydrogen peroxide, like ozone, supplies extra oxygen by splitting into water and oxygen. Oxygen ‘handcuffs’ carbon monoxide and converts it into carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide need not occupy the ‘seats’ on red blood cells. Instead, it travels free in the blood and is exhaled via the lungs. One feels fresh again.
It can “Fan the furnaces”:
The thyroid and adrenal glands are the furnaces of our body. The thyroid maintains our body temperature, appetite and weight. The adrenals maintain the blood pressure and heart function and add to our vigor and vitality. These furnaces cool down with age and we may have poor sleep and energy, feelings of chronic tiredness, weight gain, cold hands and feet. Unless these furnaces are given oxygen to breathe, their function will go on declining. Hydrogen peroxide boosts them up by ‘fanning in’ oxygen. The feeling of warmth and rising temperature during Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy indicates a ‘jump starting’ of the thyroid gland and the immune system.
It can fight Chronic Tiredness:
Some people feel chronically tired, fatigued, chilly or feverish. This could be due to an underlying low grade infection caused by bacteria, viruses or Candida (yeast). Many of these organisms do not have the ability to survive in presence of oxygen. They need an “anaerobic environment” which means that they can live only WITH OUT OXYGEN. Oxygen released by hydrogen peroxide acts like a ‘smart bomb’ to kill them, since only anaerobic pathogens die and not the healthy cells which like oxygen. Once these culprits are cleared out we may feel ‘at peace’ again.
Traditional doctors sometime prescribe long term antibiotics to get rid of such infections. Hydrogen peroxide also works like an antibiotic but without the many side effects of an antibiotic!
Hydrogen peroxide can also work for acute infections such as the Flu. If you are down with chills, fever and flu like symptoms, try a few sessions of treatment with hydrogen peroxide intravenously. The chills may go away and gradually you may be relieved of all the symptoms.
It may help an Autoimmune Disease:
Autoimmune diseases such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus and Scleroderma can be very crippling, long term problems. Doctors often blame the immune system being “unreasonably overactive” towards its own tissues. However the cause of over activity may be a chronic low grade viral or fungal or bacterial infection in those tissues. When the conscientious “immune policemen” detect these “foreign aliens”, they initiate an attack on these infected tissues. Unfortunately, these organisms are not equipped with enzymes like Catalase and Cytochrome C. So they are unable to handle hydrogen peroxide like normal cells, and they die, which is the goal. Hydrogen peroxide kills them off and this alters the course of disease, favourably.
It may work as a Chelating Agent:
Hydrogen peroxide causes dilation of small arteries. Therefore it improves circulation. Studies are underway in which hydrogen peroxide and chelation with EDTA are being combined to dissolve the plaque inside the vessels (Chelox Therapy). The two therapies, however, should not be given on the same day as they can react with each other.
It may be beneficial for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (COPD):
Chronic lung disease may be helped by hydrogen peroxide in two ways. First, it loosens the phlegm and thus clears the air passages. So breathing is facilitated.
Secondly, the phlegm is a good base for nurturing bacteria, which may lead to infection and worsen the problem. Hydrogen peroxide helps clear the infection. The patient may feel as if the lungs have cleared up and sinuses have opened. However, it cannot reverse the damage, which has already occurred in the lungs.
Hydrogen Peroxide is very useful for other respiratory conditions like Chronic Sinusitis, Bronchiectasis, Flu Syndrome and Halitosis (bad or offensive breath). Intra-nasal route may be applicable in some of them.
It may have a role in Cancer Therapy:
There are case histories showing regression of tumor mass in various types of cancers such as cancer of lung, bone, skin and neuroblastoma. When taken along with chemotherapy, it seems to lessen the side effects of chemotherapy. It also sensitizes the tumor to radiation by increasing the oxygen level of cancer cells. There is a direct relationship between the amount of oxygen in the cancer mass and the effectiveness of radiation therapy.
Hydrogen Peroxide for Shingles:
Various modalities have been used to treat shingles. The lesions are recurrent and painful. The pain may go on for years. Many physicians have experienced that hydrogen peroxide works two to three times faster than any other modality which has previously been tried for resolving herpetic lesions.
HOW TO TAKE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE?
Some people take it by mouth. They dilute a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in a glass of water and drink it three to four times a day. I do not recommend it. Our gut has good bacteria for proper digestion. hydrogen peroxide may kill these Bacteria.
Hydrogen peroxide may also react with food and alter its digestion. On an empty stomach, it may react with the cells in the stomach wall.
Intravenous Hydrogen Peroxide:
I use hydrogen peroxide intravenously. It is far more effective. It is diluted in 1/4 liter of dextrose water. Other ingredients are also added to enhance effectiveness and safety. It takes one and a half to two hours to infuse it. For chronic problems, a series of such intravenous therapies are needed. Many people will need from 10-50 treatments, which are taken two to three times a week. For acute infections such as the Flu you may have up to five treatments a week.
You need to find a physician in your area who has the knowledge and experience regarding intravenous Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy in relation to your problem.
CONDITIONS WHICH MAY BE HELPED BY HYDROGEN PEROXIDE:
- Peripheral & Cerebral Vascular Disease
- Chronic Pain Syndrome
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Diabetes type 2
- Temporal Arteritis
- Migraine and Cluster Headaches
- Chronic Unresponsive Bacterial and viral Infections
- Systemic Chronic Candidiasis
- Metastasis Carcinoma
- Varicose veins
- Pesticide toxicity
- Environmental Allergy Reaction
The Low Carbohydrate Diet
By Dr. Fred Hui
The diet I found most effective and easy-to-follow for most patients is the low carb diet.
A low carb diet not only helps to reach your ideal weight faster, but is also what I recommend for optimal blood sugar control (in case of diabetics)
Here is a brief summary of this diet below:
You should AVOID:
(1) Fruits ————————- (apples, bananas, grapes, pineapple, oranges, mangoes)
(2) All fruit juices and pop — (apple juice, tropical drinks, pepsi, sprite etc)
(3) Sugar, honey, artificial sweetener or any food that contain these (cake, chocolate, diet pop)
(4) Dairy products————– ( No milk, chocolate milk, white coffee, cream, icing BUT cheese and yoghurt are alright)
(1) Bread ————————-(all sorts of bread –rye/whole wheat/white)
(2) Pasta ————————- (noodles, kraft dinners, macaroni, spaghetti, lasagna)
(3) Cereals and rice
(4) Root vegetables like carrots, beets, potatoes etc, and some others like tomatoes and corn.
Starches convert to sugars in the body and hence must be avoided.
You may HAVE:
↑↑Meat———————– (Chicken, beef, bacon, pork, goat, turkey)
↑↑Seafood ——————-(fish, shrimp, calamari, mussels)
↑↑Cold cuts —————–(salami, ham, bacon)
↑↑Eggs ————————( chicken eggs, duck eggs)
↑↑GreenVegetables——–(lettuce, spinach, peppers, broccoli, celery, parsley, cucumbers, cauliflower)
↑↑Cheese ——————- (cheddar, mozzarella, goat cheese, cream cheese)
↑↑Nuts ———————–( walnuts, peanuts, cashew nuts, pistachios, almonds)
↑↑Oils (esp olive oil) / butter
↑↑Avocado and olives
Other : Yoghurt (Balkan style yoghurt)
In short, you may have plenty of bacon and eggs, but say “NO” to the toast. Similarly, you can have all of your pizza toppings and cheese, but stay away from the base.
The best part about this diet is that you never have to go hungry. You may satisfy all your food cravings with the allowed foods above – and in the process, it’s proven to be effective for shedding extra pounds and in helping to keep blood sugar levels well regulated.
Some mild-moderate form of exercise will help to accelerate the weight loss, like running on a treadmill, taking walks or just jumping on the spot! Take your weight on Day 1 and see how you drop pounds in just 2 weeks. Say hello to a healthier lifestyle and a slimmer you!
- Food Allergy
Foods are foreign substances until they are broken down into basic ingredients that look like the body’s own parts. If all the foreign imported letters can be broken down into single alphabets and strokes, our ‘language police” would not ostracize them as foreign invaders. If food particles get into our gut not fully processed by our digestive system, immune responses are aroused once coupled with leaky filters”, like what some people have in their gut walls. This causes colitis at the bowel wall. The extra “unarrested alien” that got into the blood stream will even arouse systemic immune responses or inflammation at distant sites causing arthritis, dermatitis, etc.
Identifying food allergies will eliminate many arthritic conditions. Use of digestive enzymes and natural remedies that seal the leaky gut often settle many inflammations of the body.
- Heavy metals
Heavy metals such as lead (example: from lead pipes), mercury (from amalgam fillings) enter our bodies as contaminants. When they get attached to our tissues, usually at receptor sites normally used by their proper activators. The extra “horns” will attract the body’s “anti-terrorist” forces to attack the “horned slices”.
Using agents that have the ability to “magnetically bind” to these heavy metals will free the body of these contaminants. In this case, the body does not need to send defenses to attack it’s own tissues. It is wise to remove these heavy metals because they compromise normal body functions. (https://drhui.com)
In conclusion, the medical profession needs to take these concepts into consideration instead of using stronger and harmful immunosuppressive drugs as their main method of dealing with autoimmune diseases. . I am suggesting strongly, that there are, in some cases, more natural, less harmful ways of ridding the body of disease, than by the use of heavy handed medications, and these methods are not being given center stage, as they should.
Are Silver Coloured Fillings Harmful?
By Dr. Fred Hui
When you go to a dentist, they mix and place the amalgam in the mouth and whatever is not used or whatever is drilled out must be disposed of according to precise directives. They’re not allowed to throw it away in a garbage can. They are also not allowed to leave it on the working desk because mercury itself is a liquid that vaporizes quickly into the air and it would harm the dental workers. It must be put in a container that is sealed tightly so that no vapor may come out. But that’s not good enough; they have to have a liquid inside there so that if it ever evaporated, it wouldn’t leak out into the room.
Most municipal governments have regulated that all dentists must put an electronic trap under the sink that you spit into to catch any particles so that the waste does not pollute the rivers and lakes.
But the Dental Association says that once it is placed into the mouth, it is safe. How logical is that?
A patient of mine brought this book to my attention. “It’s All In Your Head, the Link between Mercury Amalgams and Illness” by Dr. Hal A. Huggins. The patient had been wheel chair bound with multiple sclerosis (MS), but after being convinced by this book to have her mercury fillings replaced with white composite fillings, she came to me for follow-up treatment to have the remaining mercury removed from her body tissues. Within a short period of time, she no longer needed a wheel chair and was able to go hiking. That prompted me to replace my own fillings.
The people in dentistry are well-trained professionals whose training includes the safe handling of materials, x-ray procedures, anesthesia, etc. Most believe that amalgam is safe because they have been trained in using it at their dental school and they accept the Dental Association position that it is safe. However there is a growing minority of dentists who question this position.
Amalgam is composed of around 50% mercury, 35% silver, and either 15% tin or a mixture of tin and copper. It is easy to work with for the dentist and lasts longer than white composite filling material. Amalgam fillings may need replacing less frequently than other materials, but as the dentist Dr. Huggins claimed in 1992:
“The real issue is which is more important, the life of the filling, or the life of the patient?”
Mercury is a toxic heavy metal, which in its pure form is liquid at room temperature. It also vaporizes quickly. When mixed with silver and tin, it remains a solid alloy. However, even in its amalgam state, mercury vapors seep out. These are increased when the person is chewing food or gum or drinking hot drinks.
Mercury affects different people in different ways. Some people are more sensitive to amalgam than others. Some people will react with a different set of symptoms. Not everyone has the same number of fillings in their mouths. Symptoms caused by mercury, such as general fatigue may be caused by many disease states so dental fillings are rarely suspected. Chronic fatigue may in some cases be due to mercury attaching to one or more of the four receptor sites on hemoglobin that are intended to carry oxygen to body tissues.
Mercury may be ingested by accident during the dental process, either when the dentist is placing the amalgam into the tooth, or when he is drilling out another filling. Women should never have dental surgery while they are pregnant. It is implicated in causing deformities and various illnesses depending on the time during fetal development that the mercury has its effect. There are scientific studies with animals confirming this.
There is growing evidence that the effects of amalgam in a person’s teeth could contribute to autoimmune diseases. When the immune system detects toxic inorganic metals in body tissues, it sees these as “foreign” and proceeds to destroy them, turning on its own tissues, hence the term “autoimmune.”
The dental industry vigorously defends the use of amalgams claiming that the level of mercury exposure is too small to be harmful. Critics of amalgam suggest that they are doing this is to ward off the lawsuits that would ensue.
Another concern about metals in your mouth is the effect of “galvanic current.” When two different metals are placed side by side in your mouth, such as gold and amalgam, an electric battery effect is generated between the two metals. Being situated close to the brain, one can imagine how “electrical interference” may influence brain function.
Dr. Hal Huggins has been a vocal critic of amalgam for years, and has written books on the topic. He has developed a protocol for the safe removal of amalgam fillings. There are a growing number of dentists who have learned this protocol and have adopted it into their practices.
If you suspect that the amalgam in your teeth is making you ill, the first thought you’ll have is to do a blood test. But, actually, it may not be that useful as heavy metal such as mercury does not flow around in the blood. They are attached to tissues. So, one has to use a “Chelation Challenge test”. The test entails the infusion of agents that has ability to attract the heavy metal off the tissue. The Chelating agent will tightly bound to the released mercury. Level of mercury can be measured when this complex is finally excreted in the vein.
Understand that mercury can also come from many other sources, such as the consumption of tuna fish, either tinned or fresh, and shellfish.
What are the symptoms of mercury toxicity in your body?
Because mercury can attached to any tisues of the body. It can poison any enzumes systems that is useful as catalyst in any metabolic test. The symptoms can be the disturbance of any body functions. Many patients that have high blood pressure with no underlying cause. But, their mercury is cleaned up, their blood pressure also normalized.
If the adjective “foggy brain” describes yours, or you have unexplained ailments involving the nervous systems, suspect mercury. Mercury seems to have special affinity to nerves tissues. Therefore are many literatures linking mercury to problems such as dementia, depression, irritability, hyperactivity, peripheral nerve problems or even multiple sclerosis. Many illnesses were called “autoimmune”. The conventional medical profession thinks that the body has turn “crazy” and attacks its own self. The only treatment approach they use is to suppress the “crazy policeman”. They rely on drugs like prednisone, and transplant medicines to suppress the policemen so that there is no more attacks. All the side effects and the immune suppression end up bring about the patient’s eventual deterioration. The conditions, such as arthritis, lupus, Crohn’s diseases got “controlled”. But, the patients develop diabetes, infections, drop in blood count etc. One of the mechanisms proposed by the alternative circles is that the body indeed “sees” that there are foreign substances attached to normal tissues that should not be there. They start using the immune systems top attack these “aliens”. Unfortunately, the “conscientious policemen” got blamed and got suppressed. By putting in the search term “amalgam” into the internet, you will see all types of concerns the whole world (except the dentists ) has about mercury.
What can you do about it?
If you decide that you wish to have your amalgam fillings replaced for preventative reasons, then choose a dentist who specializes in amalgam replacement. While most dentists are willing to replace your amalgam fillings with white composite fillings if requested, if the many safe procedures are not used you could be harmed. Regular dentists may not appreciate the need to make sure every last bit of the amalgam is removed and their facilities may be lacking. An organization that can refer you to a qualified dentist in your area can be inquired through www.iaomt.org
After your fillings are replaced, the next step is to remove the mercury that is already in the body. The two most effective Chelation methods for removing mercury are DMPS and DMSA. EDTA chelation is more effective at removing heavy metals such as lead, but not as effective with mercury removal. DMPS is a treatment that is given intravenously, usually from a large syringe, over the course of half an hour. DMSA is given orally, and has the advantage of being able to cross the blood/brain barrier. Generally, a few DMPS treatments are given, first to reduce the peripheral level of mercury in the body, before the usage of oral DMSA treatments to clean the rest of the body and the central nervous system.
For more information on the mercury issue, and the detoxification of mercury, Dr. Hui can be contacted through his web site: email@example.com or through his chelation clinics.
downtown 416 929 1469 uptown: 416 443 0811 Barrie: 705 721 1969
by Dr. Fred Hui M.D.
How to unplug arteries with “Chelation Therapy”
As we age, our “pipes” get rusty. Poor circulation, with reduced oxygen and nutrient delivery to tissues and organs leads to symptoms such as:
- Angina pains (tightness in the chest),
- pain in the calf when walking,
- shortness of breath when one has to walk fast or go up stairs,
- cold feet, cold hands,
- shrinkage of the brain due to impaired blood flow,
- difficulties with memory,
- poor eye sight, “macular degeneration,”
- failing sexual function,
- reduced skin thickness and resultant dryness,
- decreased density of bones and joints, “osteoporosis,”
- Higher blood pressure, and more,
Conventional medical measures have their usefulness and are often life saving.
Stopping smoking, trying to loss weight, controlling blood sugar, exercising are good basic measures.
It also helps to understand the rationale of the various medications being used for heart and circulation problems. Aspirin, warfarin, or other blood thinners are to prevent blood from clotting; Stains are used to lower cholesterol; Beta blockers aims to prevent excessive speed and therefore strain on a already diseased heart; Ace inhibitors helps to lower blood pressure so that there is less obstruction to flow. Balloon angioplasty or bypasses were surgical interventions that were meant to unblock a regional segment of blood vessels.
But, in spite of their best efforts, many patients still suffer from symptoms and consequences of the phenomena of arteriosclerosis.
What extra measures (conventional and unconventional) can we undertake to address the problem?
Cutting down intake of carbohydrates (starchy food) helps to prevent excessive stimulation of body’s insulin secretion. Hyperinsulism contribute to excessive appetite, accelerated conversion of sugar into fat (around your waist, and around the artery wall). Eating fat build fat was a myth. Eating starch build fat is so true.
Supplementing with good minerals such as magnesium (suggest Mg Citrate 250-300mg twice/day with meals) relaxes arterial spasm, and help to lower blood pressure. Chromium(suggest 400g twice/day) can stabilizes blood sugar and appetite.
Antioxidants such as vitamin C (1000mg), vitamin E (400mg), beta-carotene, selenium, etc. have a “rust proofing” effect on the arteries. Vitamin C is a generous donor floating in the blood ready to give up electrons to satisfy “free radicals” that would otherwise damage tissues and DNA. Vitamin E, resting as a line of defense on all cell membranes, acts like a “banker” ready to give unlimited financing to vitamin C as it gives away it’s electrons. Antioxidants work as a team, so it is wise to take various ones.
Antibiotics have been found by some doctors to be useful. There is evidence that bacteria infections may be the reasons why artery walls thickens up like skins infected by warts. There is one type of bacteria implicated, called nanobacter. They secrete a film of calcium coverage to prevent themselves from the scrutiny of the body’s white blood cells. In my office, instead of using a long course of antibiotic, I use intravenous hydrogen peroxide to do the cleaning, and Chelation therapy to lift off their coverings.
Latest advance in blood tests that you can request your physician to check for you:
- Homocysteine – a metabolic byproduct that is toxic to the blood vessels.
- Highly sensitive C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) –a marker to detect the presence of inflammation or infection that irritates the inner lining of the blood vessels. (New England Journal of Medicine, Nov 2002).
- Fibrinogen – an excessive blood clotting protein. (Reader’s Digest, Dec 2002)
- LP(a) – Lipoprotein(a), an extra “criminal member of the bad cholesterol family. (Reader’s Digest, Dec, 2002)
- Ferritin- Excessive iron storage can lead to accelerated arteriosclerosis. Women have the advantage of their monthly menstrual cycle to prevent excessive accumulation. That may explain why an average retirement home have a lot more ladies there left than man.
Early detection of the above risk factors can lead to employment of some simple corrective measures.
Chelation Therapy is an underutilized, under-recognized, unconventional method of treatment. It has been found to be a very successful method to treat the problem of blocked arteries. It has been used since World War II. Due to the threat of loss of business for the pharmacological industry and heart surgeons, the treatment has always faced resistance by the conventional medical establishment. There was initial criticism, by opponents, of the side effects it produces, if improperly administered. But, the criticism was found to be unfounded since an international protocol was established. The protocol has been found to be one of the safest methods of treating heart disease. Hundreds of thousands of patients who receive such treatment around the world have not reported any significant side effects. The critics have been, strategically, citing the earlier problems of 30 years ago to criticize the treatment.
Patients with heart problems, difficulty walking, or breathing, can often regain energy and return to their normal life after Chelation Therapy. There are also reports of other improvements in body function, such as with: eye sight, sexual function, and normalization of blood pressure.
Chelation Therapy is a series of intravenous infusions that some people refer to as being “Draino infusions for blocked arteries”. Some of the key ingredients include:
- “EDTA” (Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acetate) — a metal binding agent that has the magnetic ability to attract and “hand cuff” heavy metals and misplaced calcium that have been hardening and calcifying our arterial “pipes”.EDTA is used in tomato catsup and mayonnaise to prevent bacterial growth. Maybe it can help to restore health to blood vessels by this same mechanism.
- A high dose of vitamin C – to work as an anti-oxidant, neutralizing harmful free radicals in our circulation. In this way, Vitamin C serves to “rust proof” the linings of our arterial pipes. It should be noted that the amount of vitamin C that can be given intravenously is much higher than what can be given orally without causing diarrhea.
- A high dose of magnesium — to relax the arteries and return flexibility to our arterial “hose”. Again it should be noted that the amount of magnesium is often much higher than what can be given orally without causing diarrhea.
- Vitamin B12 — provides energy to every cell.
- Vitamins B6 and B1 work together to reduce toxic substances like “homocystine” that accelerate the blockage of arteries.
Patients who choose chelation therapy have usually heard from other patients’ personal experience. The cost of Chelation Therapy usually involves 20-40 sessions of intravenous infusion. The average cost of the chelation therapy treatment is about $120 Canadian dollars per session. Patients usually spend two hours sitting, knitting, reading and chatting with fellow chelation patients and staff. To find a Chelation doctor in your area, one can look up at http://www.acam.org
With all these extra measures, even some of the most difficult patients that have failed the conventional treatment can recover to a very healthy level of functioning.
- Boyle, A.J., Mosher, R.E.: & McCann, D.S.: Somme in Vivo Effects of Chelation – 1, Journal of Chronic Diseases, (16) 325-328, 1963.
- Casdorph, H. Richard: EDTA Chelation Therapy, Efficacy of Arteriosclerotic Heart Disease, Journal of Holistic Medicine, vol. 3, No. 1, 53-59, 1981.
- Clarke, Sr., N.E.: Atherosclerosis, Occlusive Vascular Disease and EDTA, the American Journal of Cardiology, 233-236, Aug., 1960 (VL #2)
- Clarke, N.E., Clarke, C.N., Mosher, R.E: Treatment of Angina Pectoris With Disodium Ethylene Diamine Tetraacetic Acid. American Journal of the Medical Sciences, 232, 654-666, Dec., 1956
- Clarke, N.E., Clarke, C.N., Mosher, R.E: The “In Vivo” Dissolution of Metastatic Calcium, American Journal of Medical Sciences, 142-149, 1955 (229). (229).
- Dwyer, F.P., and Mellor, D. P. , editors; Chelating Agents and Metal Chelate, New York, Academic Press, Inc., 1964
- Rasmussen T, Kirkland B, MillerV et al., Mayo Clinic & University of Texas; Electron Microscope & Immunological Evidence of Nanobacterial Structures in Calcified Carotid Ateries, aortic Aneursyms and Cardiac Valves, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 1009-79, March 2002.
By Dr. Fred Hui
WHAT IS HYPERTENSION?
Hypertension is the medical term for High Blood Pressure (b.p). When you measure your b.p at home or at a clinic, what you’re actually measuring is the pressure on the inner walls of your arteries, caused by the blood flowing through them.
THE ‘BLOCK IN THE FLOW’ AND AGING – TWO MAJOR UNDERLYING CAUSES
One of the major causes of increase in b.p is the presence of physical blocks, or plaques, in the circulation (atherosclerosis). The formation of these plaques is explained below:
As the body ages, a natural and gradual destructive process called LIPID PEROXIDATION destroys the walls of the arteries. In this process, the lipid content of the cells of the arterial walls, get degraded by free radicals.
This damage is repaired by the body, leaving a scar.
Over time, cholesterol may get deposited at these sitesforming SOFT PLAQUES.
Later, as years go by, calcium and other hard minerals may get deposited over these SOFT PLAQUES, causing the formation of HARD PLAQUES. The difference between soft and hard plaques is the presence of hard mineral deposition like calcium.
1) AGE – RELATED HARDENING OF ARTERIES
This is another major cause of hypertension.
As the body ages, the walls of the blood vessels lose their elasticity and flexibility, and become stiffer with time (arteriosclerosis). This is due to formation of cross-linkages in the connective tissue in the arterial walls. Calcium deposition in the blood vessels, as a result of aging, causes further stiffening.
THE ‘WIND TUNNEL EFFECT’ AND RAISED B.P
PLAQUES HARDENED ARTERIES
(Physical obstruction in the circulation) (Blood flows through a `rigid pipe`)
NARROWING OF ARTERIES
(`wind tunnel effect`)
|Blood has to be pumped with more force to overcome the resistance, so that it can be pushed through these narrowed arteries and be delivered to every organ.|
|The volume of blood reaching the kidneys per minute decreases due to these reasons.As a result, KIDNEY SENSORS sense a decreased blood flow and assumes that the body is losing blood (eg:- by an active bleeding).|
|The kidneys now aim to increase blood volume by excreting lesser water and conserving more.|
|As a result of this, more blood now has to be pumped through these narrowed arteries, with more force.|
OTHER CAUSES OF HYPERTENSION
Apart from narrowing arteries and age-related stiffening of arteries, hypertension can also be caused by various other conditions including:
- adrenal tumours,
- renal diseases and
- certain medications
These causes have to be ruled out– and this is where your history of illness, clinical findings and lab investigations play a crucial role.
HYPERTENSION AND MEDICATION
Many people falsely believe that they’re healthy as long as their “numbers are good”. If you are on a BP pill, and your BP is controlled, it only means that it’s ‘controlling’ the problem. BP pills, unfortunately, do not work at the source of the problem and hence conceals its presence. So, in time, you may require higher doses to control your levels. This is the biggest indicator to the fact that the underlying problem exists, and is getting worse.
Apart from concealing the underlying issue, BP medications can have a spectrum of side effects that you must be aware of. BP medications are classified based on the way they work, and each kind comes with its own share of problems.
Find the drug you’ve been taking from the list below. Can you relate to these side effects?
1) Water Pills (Diuretics)
|Examples||How they work||Side effects|
|Lasix (Furosemide)Aldactone (Spironolactone)Inspra (Eplerenone)||Increases excretion of water and salt from the body, thereby reducing blood volume and blood pressure.||Urination, thirstDizziness on getting up quicklyBody drynessMay sugar levelsImpotence, low libidoGout|
2) ACE INHIBITORS
|Examples||How they work||Side Effects|
|Altace (Ramipril)Coversyl ( Perindopril)Zestril or Prinivil (Lisinopril)||See flowchart below||Dry coughHigh potassium levels|
How ACE Inhibitors work:
Volume of blood flowing through kidney per minute decreases
Sensors in kidneys get activated (they assume that blood volume is low)
Causes secretion of Renin as a “YELL FOR HELP”
Renin starts a cycle in response, which ultimately causes retention of water, and thereby increases blood volume and blood pressure.
ACE Inhibitors block this cycle. They also allow arteries to dilate and hence lower bp.
1) The ARB’s
|Examples||How they work||Side effects|
|Atacand (Candesartan)Cozaar (Losartan)Avapro (Irbesartan) Diovan (Valsartan)Micardis (Telmisartan)||The ARB’s also work by blocking the above mentioned cycle, but at a different stage.||DizzinessHigh potassium levelsCough is lesser or absent, when compared to ACE inhibitors.|
2) Beta Blockers
|Examples||How they work||Side effects|
|Tenormin (Atenolol)Betaloc/ Lopressor (Metoprolol)Emcor/ Cardicor (Bisoprolol)||By dilating blood vessels, as a result of blocking a stimulatory secretion called Adrenaline.||Too slow heart rateDepressionTiredness, drowsinessDizzinessSexual Dysfunction|
3) Calcium Channel Blockers
|Examples||How they work||Side effects|
|Norvasc (Amlodipine)Adalat/ Procardia (Nifedipine)Cardizem /Tiazac (Diltiazem)Verelan (Verapamil)||It dilates the return pipes. This includes veins and lymph vessels too.||Swelling in feetConstipationDizzinessPainful, bleeding gums|
CHELATION AND HYPERTENSION
Chelation works at the root of the problem. Instead of dilating the blood vessels with pills for the rest of your life, it clears the path and allows a smooth blood flow. As an added advantage, you could be free from the side effects of these pills.
Depending on my assessment for your condition, you may be prescribed chelation treatments with EDTA and/ or PLAQUEX to clear your circulation.
Detailed information, testimonials and PROS AND CONS of these treatments are further discussed in detail in the CD, DVD and hand-outs that will be provided to you at the front desk.
A few points on these treatments are given below:
1) EDTA – Ethylene-diamine-tetra-acetic acid
- Used on HARD PLAQUES – EDTA may bind and remove the hard mineral deposits and certain toxic heavy metals like lead, aluminum, cadmium etc.
- By removing hard plaques, EDTA may help to improve circulation to all organs including the brain, heart, kidneys etc. As a result of this, you may greatly reduce incidence of strokes, heart attacks, angina, peripheral vascular diseases, diabetic complications etc.
- EDTA may also decrease free radical damage, deposition of calcium in blood vessels, and improve flexibility of arteries in older patients.
- The treatment is an 90-120 minute intravenous infusion of EDTA in a bag of sterile water containing a mixture of vitamins and minerals.
- You will typically require 20-30 sessions, depending on the severity of your condition – you may start seeing differences by 10 sessions. You will be reviewed every 10-20 treatments through a follow-up appointment with me, and your progress will be assessed.
- The frequency of treatments is usually 1-2 times/week. After your prescribed number of treatments and satisfactory progress is achieved, you may taper to a maintenance dose of once/month, to keep the circulation clear from deposits.
- Every 5 treatments with EDTA, you will be given a Vitamin treatment- this is a 90 minute intravenous infusion of several vitamins and minerals. Along with this vitamin treatment, a blood work to assess your kidney function will also be done.
- RUSTPROOFING – While you are on EDTA treatments, you will also be put on a vitamin, mineral and antioxidant supplementation called Ultra Balance III – 3 pills twice a day.
A few cons of EDTA treatment:
1) May not be suitable for patients with already-weak kidneys.
- This is because EDTA binds and removes hard mineral deposits and toxic metals that have accumulated in the body for several years. These have to be excreted, but weak kidneys cannot excrete this load of toxic metals that gets washed out with each treatment.
What can be done about this?
- EDTA will hence be prescribed only after an initial blood workup is done and your kidneys are found to be in good function. Also, after every 5 treatments with EDTA, another blood work to assess your kidney function will be repeated.
- If your kidney function is being affected, you may either be given a smaller dose, or switched entirely to Plaquex (which is absorbed through the intestines), depending on my assessment of your condition.
2) May deplete the vitamins and minerals in your body.
- Along with removing the hard mineral deposits and heavy metals, EDTA may also strip your body of vitamins and minerals.
- You will hence be put on a vitamin, mineral and antioxidant supplementation called Ultra Balance III – 3 pills twice a day.
- Every 5 treatments with EDTA, you will be given a Vitamin treatment– this is an intravenous infusion of several vitamins and minerals.
2) PLAQUEX – Phosphatidyl choline
- Used for removal of SOFT PLAQUES.
- Plaquex treatment is used to remove cholesterol deposition (soft plaques) in the arteries. It also decreases the damage to the walls of the arteries caused by lipid peroxidation (explained in pg.1) and thus helps to prevent further damage as well.
- It may also improve the flexibility of aging blood vessels by improving elasticity, shape and function of the cells in the arterial walls.
- By removing soft plaques and increasing flexibility of arteries, Plaquex improves the circulation to all organs of the body and thus, may help prevent heart attacks, angina, strokes, diabetic complications etc.
- Plaquex treatment is a 90-minute intravenous infusion of Phosphatidyl choline in a bag of 5% Dextrose solution.
- You will typically require 20-30 sessions, depending on the severity of your condition. You may start seeing differences by about 10 sessions.
- The frequency of treatments is usually 1-2 times/week. After satisfactory progress is achieved, you may taper to a maintenance dose of once/month, to keep the circulation clear.
- Further information on Plaquex can be available to you at www.plaquex.net.
Fibromyalgia is a syndrome in which a person has chronic, non-specific body pains in the joints, muscles, and other soft tissues.
Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, sleep problems, headaches, depression, and anxiety.
When patients approach their physicians about it, they would be checked for the most obvious causes of body pain like arthritis or muscle trauma. They also may check for common causes of tiredness such as anemia or thyroid issues. These tests often come back negative and no further tests are carried out.
Being in pain and fatigued all day causes a drop in normal functioning, social interactions and outings; and leaves one with symptoms of depression. However, many doctors fail to see the real equation, and end up putting these patients on a lifetime of anti-depressants and painkillers.
FINDING THE REAL CAUSE
Fibromyalgia is a condition that I’ve come across very commonly in my practice, mostly because conventional treatments have not been able to help them at all.
Years of extensive research and practice, coupled with outstanding results has brought me to understand that the cause of FIBROMYALGIA = CHRONIC FLU + CHRONIC ADRENAL FATIGUE. It can either be one or both these conditions that cause Fibromyalgia over time.
CAN YOU RELATE TO ANY OF THESE?
CHRONIC FLU SYMPTOMS
• Body aches and pains (can be muscle or joints)
• Low grade fevers
• Chills (which are not relieved by layering up either)
• Night sweats
• Feeling “under the weather” a lot
• History of infections or invasive procedures in the past (eg:- sinusitis, lung infections, dental infections or root canal procedure, urinary tract infections, arthritis etc)
CHRONIC ADRENAL FATIGUE SYMPTOMS
• Morning tiredness
• Fatigue all day, especially after exercise
• Cold hands and feet
• Low blood pressure
• Low blood sugar
• Emotionally hypersensitive (cries easily , gets angry and startled easily)
• Inability to adapt to new situations or changes easily
MY APPROACH TO TREATING YOU
This depends on which symptoms you relate to the most. Accordingly, various tests would be carried out to confirm the diagnosis. Following this, I would sketch out a detailed treatment protocol for you.
If you feel like you relate more to the symptoms of:
(1) Chronic Flu / Underlying infection
– Chronic infections and my approach to its treatment is dealt in detail below.
(2) Chronic Adrenal Fatigue
– A summary of my approach to this issue can be found below.
– A detailed article explaining my approach and treatment options may also be given to you.
(3) General Tiredness
– An article that I have composed covering the various aspects to why you could be tired, and how to treat the underlying issue will be given to you.
MY APPROACH TO CHRONIC FLU / INFECTION
– Symptoms like achiness, chills and rigors, low-grade fevers, night sweats or a chronic “under the weather” feeling, according to me, are signs of a chronic ongoing infection that you are unable to get rid of.
– It could be bacterial, viral, fungal or even parasitic. Nothing else in the world will give you chills other than infections.
– Several patients are able to go back in time, and find that the onset of the above symptoms coincides with an infection or invasive procedure they had in the past.
– Several examples are:
Gynaecological infection/procedure (Caesarean section/endometriosis/biopsy etc)
Urinary tract infections/ Colitis, amoebiasis, parasites and other GI tract infections
History of root canal/ tender gums/ hypersensitivity/ other dental procedures
History of sinusitis/ pneumonia/ any chronic infections
History of arthritis/ other joint diseases.
– These infections gradually enter the blood stream and spread to other organs. There, they multiply and silently form pockets of infection in different parts of the body including the joints.
– Areas like the joint spaces are inaccessible to the white blood cells (our germ fighting squad) because of the tough, impenetrable capsule around the entire joint. This causes the immune system to attack the area around it in an effort to reach the target, and this explains the joint aches and pains.
• Tracing the culprit – Depending upon the suspected source of infection, tests can be carried out.
Urine culture and microscopy
Sputum culture / stool culture
Throat swab / vaginal swab
Stool and saliva test (to check for several parasites and yeast)
The above tests only check for bacteria, and therefore, are not comprehensive enough.
This test can find organisms that are not traceable by any OHIP- covered test. It can detect virus, fungi and semi-viruses too. This is because this test does not rely on actually “seeing” the organism, but it tests for the presence of its DNA! Examples include chlamydia spp, mycoplasma etc.
• Treating the infection
Antibiotics or antifungals (as required)
IV H2O2 treatments
– H2O2 is a well-known killer of germs –Its action is against viruses, bacteria, fungi and semi bacteria. It mostly works by creating a high oxygen environment in which the germs can’t survive.
– I had good clinical success using this treatment, but now, I have a more powerful treatment that does not irritate the veins which is High dose Ozone therapy. I prefer this approach.
MY APPROACH TO CHRONIC ADRENAL FATIGUE
Adrenal glands are responsible for the production of various vital hormones like:
(1) Glucocorticoids (cortisol) which is responsible for glucose metabolism and energy production.
(2)Mineralocorticoids (aldosterone) which deals with salt and water retention in the body.
(3) Sex corticoids– like DHEA, which in turn, converts to testosterone and estrogen.
(4) They also produce adrenaline and noradrenaline which play a vital role in dealing with stress and emergencies.
Due to the vital actions of these various hormones, the adrenals play a very important part in our lives by preparing us to face all the stresses in life, and by creating an overall mineral and hormonal balance in our bodies.
The cause of adrenal fatigue:
Overworking the adrenals for a prolonged period can cause exhaustion of the glands.
This can be caused by excessive exercise, overworking, job stress, sleep deprivation, fear, anger, depression, guilt, anxiety, surgery, chronic pain/infection/ inflammation, chronic allergies/illnesses etc.
Diagnosing Chronic Adrenal Fatigue
– Cortisol levels in the body can be determined by a simple saliva cortisol test which measures your body’s cortisol levels at 4 different times of the day.
– For example, the production of cortisol by adrenals glands is highest in the morning upon waking up – around 6 am to 8 am. A drop in your levels around this time can explain your lack in morning energy.
• The saliva samples will be sent to the USA and the results received by us in approx. 3 weeks. This will then be interpreted by me- and on the basis of your levels and symptoms, the severity of your condition will be assessed. Accordingly, a treatment plan will be drawn out for you.
Treating Adrenal Fatigue
1) LICORICE DROPS
• This is a way to top up your cortisone levels without actually taking any medication.
• The brand I usually prescribe is St. Francis whole licorice drops – 30 drops in the morning, noon and late afternoon. This is available in most health food stores.
• Licorice works by slowing down the breakdown of the cortisone molecule. In this way, the number of molecules in circulation at any given time is increased, thereby increasing cortisone levels in blood without any external supplementation.
2) HORMONAL REPLACEMENT / TOP-UP METHODS
A) CORTEF (GENERIC NAME: HYDROCORTISONE)
• This is a higher level of Glucocorticoid (Cortisone) top-up that I use in patients that have severe symptoms, and when quick intervention is needed.
• Cortef is a bio-identical, less potent, very low dose form of cortisone. This is a ‘supplemental dose’ as opposed to the ‘suppressive dose’ that comes with using prednisone. This allows you to get the benefit from cortisone, without actually suppressing or permanently affecting the secretive function of your glands.
• Also, for patients who have been advised to take this drug for a longer duration, the book “Safe use of Hydrocortisone” by William Jefferies (available through Amazon) gives all the details you need on every aspect of cortisol.
The usual dosage I prescribe is
• 10mg in the morning on waking up,
• 5 mg at noon
• 5 mg at 5pm
Hydrocortisone molecule has a short half life, and does not last > 4hrs in our bodies, and this is why more frequent dosing is required.
B) FLORINEF (GENERIC NAME: FLUDROCORTISONE)
• Florinef is the low-dose ‘top-up’ medication that I prescribe for patients who are significantly low in aldosterone.
• As mentioned in detail earlier, aldosterone is the water and mineral retention hormone produced by the adrenal glands.
• Deficiency of this hormone may result in low blood volume, low blood pressure, light headedness, increased urination, bony face and sunken facial features.
• The dosage I usually prescribe is 0.1 mg a day. You may be advised to start with HALF a pill (0.05mg) a day, and increase it up to one pill (0.1mg) a day until your systolic blood pressure crosses 100 mmHg.
• As explained earlier, DHEA is a sex hormone produced by the adrenal glands. In patients with CAF, it’s very likely that they would be low on this hormone as well.
• Your DHEA levels can easily be determined by a simple blood test (OHIP-covered).
• DHEA is a precursor for other hormones like Testosterone and Oestrogen and hence the lack of which can cause low libido, vitality, menopausal symptoms, erectile dysfunction, low energy etc.
• The dosage I prescribe is usually 25mg a day, to be taken early in the morning before breakfast. The dosage may vary depending on how low your levels are.
3) I.V ADRENAL DRIP
• The adrenal drip you are prescribed contains Adrenal support injection. This fools the pituitary to believe that the adrenals are back on track, and therefore it stops the ACTH production. (ACTH is a hormone which acts as the whip that forces the adrenals to work overtime)So, this drip finally gives the adrenals a much deserved chance to rest and regenerate.
• Your drip also contains a mix of several minerals and vitamins like Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Chromium, Selenium, Manganese, Potassium, Copper, Vit B5, B6, Bcomplex, B12, Vit C etc. These minerals and vitamins serve as the raw materials that help to rebuild the gland.
• The usual recommendation is two infusions per week for the first 5 weeks, each around 90 mins each.
• This is followed by an assessment of your progress and accordingly, you will be advised to either continue or gradually stop and go on a maintenance dose.
Chronic Adrenal Fatigue – the symptoms, the diagnosis, the treatment options and the risks& benefits of the treatment are dealt in detail in another article by me called CHRONIC ADRENAL FATIGUE. The information given above is only a summary, and the detailed article will be given to you if this is a suspected cause in your case.
MY APPROACH TO FATIGUE/ TIREDNESS
Dr. Jacob Tietelbaum, author of the bestseller “From Fatigued to Fantastic” has a comprehensive approach towards diagnosing and treating fatigue, and its called the “SHINE” protocol. A slightly modified version has been adopted by me. The SHINE protocol rules out the most common causes and lesser known causes, and also allows one to address multiple issues at the same time, because they are often linked to one another.
The SHINE protocol stands for:
S – SLEEP
H – HORMONE
I – INFECTION
N – NUTRITION
E – EMOTIONS
A good sleep releases endorphins, which is endogenous morphine, also called the “Feel- Good Hormone”. Poor sleep is one of the simplest but common reasons for tiredness, decreased concentration etc.
An article explaining my approach to improving your sleep in detail will be given to you.
• This is our body’s natural sleep hormone. As we age, our melatonin levels drop. For those patients whose melatonin baseline levels are low, its supplementation would improve the depth and quality of sleep.
• Melatonin is a non-addictive, natural sleeping pill. There is no lingering effect/ daytime drowsiness. Melatonin also has anti-oxidant, anti-aging and immune system boosting properties.
• Start with a 3mg pill on Night 1 ——->2 pills on Night 2 ——-> 3 pills on Night 3 and gradually increase the dosage until you discover the right dosage for your body. You can take a maximum of 10 pills a night (30mg).
• USE AN EYE COVER – In order to increase the effectiveness of this hormone, ensure complete darkness over the eyelids because light deactivates the action of melatonin.
• This is another natural supplement for sleep that is composed of herbal ingredients like Valarian root extract, passionflower extract, lemon balm extract and griffonia seed. It also contains 5-HTP, melatonin and GABA, which are known to relax the body and mind. Dosage: 2 caps/ night.
Deficiency of certain hormones can also bring about the associated symptoms and hence I would first need to rule out such deficiencies.
• THYROID HORMONES:
– TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 – A routine blood work only checks for TSH but I take a more detailed look into your thyroid function by checking your Free T3 and Free T4 as well.
– Having decreased thyroid function can cause low energy, sluggishness, increased sleep, weight gain etc.
– Low Temperature – If the basal body temperature is <1°C than normal, the thyroid or adrenal hormone production may be low. [Normal temp. = 37°C or 98.6°F]
– Desiccated thyroid – Depending on how low you may be, you would be prescribed desiccated thyroid, which is better than synthetic alternatives like eltroxin and synthroid. Desiccated thyroid is actual dried and powdered porcine thyroid glands.
• ADRENAL HORMONES: – This is dealt in detail under the heading CHRONIC ADRENAL FATIGUE
• SEX HORMONES
– DHEA is a hormone produced by the adrenal glands that converts into other hormones like Testosterone and Estrogen. The deficiency of these hormones may cause tiredness, low libido, menopausal symptoms, erectile dysfunction etc.
– It is good to top up these levels in order to bring down your biological age. – Most of these tests are OHIP-covered, and based on the results, you may be supplemented with:
DHEA 25 mg daily
Triple hormone cream (This cream is prescribed mostly for menopausal patients. It contains estrogen, progesterone and a hint of testosterone)
Progesterone cream (This cream is mainly prescribed for patients who also currently have heavy periods and PMS symptoms. The dose is 0.1cc twice a day, to be applied from Day 15 to Day 28 of the menstrual cycle. This dose may be increased up to 0.2cc if hot flashes are not controlled)
– These bio identical hormone creams are specially compounded as per my prescription and are available at all my clinics.
(3) INFECTION • Dealt with in detail under MY APPROACH TO CHRONIC FLU/ INFECTIONS
• DEFICIENCY OF NUTRIENTS
– Deficiency of certain nutrients can also cause tiredness and aches. – In order to rule out such nutritional deficiencies, I may test the following levels:
Serum folic acid
– The conventional recommended daily dosage of Vit. D is 1000IU/day. This is far from being adequate. The dosage I usually advice is 5000IU/day.
– Vitamin B12 levels above 600 is ideal in my opinion. In order to keep it at such a high level, sometimes oral supplementation will suffice. For others, a subcutaneous injection of 1cc Vit B12 may be prescribed.
• TOXIC NUTRITION (HEAVY METAL INTAKE)
– Over many years, everyone tends to accumulate heavy metals in their bodies.
– The source – The heavy metals may have entered your body through various sources like Cadmium (from cigarettes), Lead (from old water pipes) and Mercury (from seafood and dental fillings). High mercury levels due to amalgam fillings are one of the most common cases I come across. Other heavy metals include Aluminum, Cesium and Gadolinium.
– The accumulation – These metals don’t have an escape plan in our body. They don’t get broken down or flushed out. They accumulate in our cells and circulation and over time, causes toxicity. This consequently produces symptoms like brain fogging, tiredness, circulatory issues etc.
– Heavy Metal Challenge Test – For patients who have had long-term exposure to heavy metals, I strongly recommend this test. It’s a 2-hour IV treatment with EDTA and DMPS (which are chelating agents), following which a urine sample will be collected and sent away to the US for analysis.
– Depending on the results, I can recommend chelation treatments like:
DMPS treatment – To chelate mercury. Must have amalgam fillings removed prior to starting treatments. Can be done once in 2 weeks only.
EDTA treatment – To chelate lead, cadmium, aluminum etc. Max: thrice a week.
• FOOD ALLERGY
– Most patients struggle with some sort of food allergy on a daily basis – and most are unaware of it. The allergy can be mild, moderate or severe.
– Severe allergies are the obvious ones – where one can swell up and have extreme difficulty in breathing, or have rashes and itching.
– Mild-moderate allergies – these are the ones that just give you gas, reflux, bloating, belching, heartburn, abdominal cramps, diarrhea or constipation.
– What many people don’t understand is that food allergies harm you over time. Every time you eat something you are allergic to, your body needs to produce antibodies against it.
– Your body therefore, is constantly in fight mode as the ”enemies” keep pouring in – this weakens the immune system and distracts the body from the real issues like a possible underlying infection. This, in turn, causes or aggravates most of the symptoms.
Food Allergy Test
– If you have any of the above mentioned symptoms, then I would strongly recommend a food allergy test.
– This is a simple test that uses 3 drops of blood to identify IgG antibodies against 96 different foods. It covers all food groups like dairy, poultry, seafood, meats, fruits, vegetables, legumes, wheat etc.
– The results even tell you what degree of reaction you have towards that food – ranging from “No reaction” to “Severe”. It also comes with a diet booklet that guides you through the allergy elimination process.
– For patients who have food allergies, I also recommend taking digestive enzymes to aid the digestive process. This natural supplement contains bromolein, chymotrypsin, amylase, lipase, trypsin, papain, lysozyme etc.
– Neurotransmitter imbalance. Biochemical imbalances of Serotonin, GABA and Dopamine can be helped by natural supplements such as St. John’s Wort, 5-HTP, or SAMe. Since it is hard to accurately determine which neurotransmitter is deficient, offering an intravenous buffet of neurotransmitter precursors allows the body to utilize what it needs. In my practice, I recommend Intravenous amino acid. I had observed amazing results on restorative balancing of patient’s mood such as anxiety or depression.
– Emotional trauma. These are events or situations that overwhelm the individual’s ability to cope, and eventually feel emotionally, cognitively, and physically overwhelmed. I do recommend patients to undergo Emotional freedom technique(EFT)which utilizes light tapping technique combined with verbalizing the identified problem followed by a general affirmation phrase. This balances the energy system and appears to relieve psychological stress and physiological pain.
– Work Overload is one of the commonest reasons for tiredness in modern society: taking on more than one can handle; taking on a bigger mortgage than one can comfortably afford; being a working mother with not enough resting time, etc. No amount of medicine can erase the fatigue until a person does some fundamental lifestyle changes.
– Meditation. If one can learn meditation technique, it would be extremely wonderful for recharging and rebalancing the body. Here is a link http://marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations that can help you start meditation.