LifeLine 05-Self Help for Headaches (Click this link to see details)
Headaches are usually caused by problems outside the brain such as constricted blood vessels, neck joints, muscles and jaw.
A chronic headache which is not increasing in intensity is unlikely to be caused by a tumor. Most x-rays and scans to exclude tumors are unnecessary.
Common triggers to avoid
– Sleeping on stomach, with neck twisted.
– Alcohol, cheese, nuts, MSG, cured meat, artificial sweeteners.
– Jaw overworked: grinding teeth, chewing gum.
• Avoid daily use of painkillers as they will cause rebound headaches.
• Chiropractic: Good if cause is neck problem.
• Dental checkup to rule out dental and jaw problems.
• Acupuncture: Useful to reduce hypersensitivity of nerve to pain.
• Herbal remedies to treat constitutional imbalance.
– Lean forward over a desk and rest head on hands.
– Have helper feel for small depressions (pressure points) at base of skull.
– With thumb and index finger on pressure points, massage or hold pressure for 5 minutes.
– Feveriew tablets effective for many headache or migraine sufferers (health store or any pharmacy).
– Sibelium tablets (on prescription)