PREGNENOLONE – The Memory-Enhancing Hormone
Hormones are chemical messengers that tell our organs and cells what to do. Our neurological function is precisely controlled by hormones that synchronize organ and cell function. Hormone imbalances play a direct role in the decline of cognitive functioning with aging.
Aging erodes the ability of the “conductor”- an essential hormone called pregnenolone – to direct the synchronization of the trillions of brain cell reactions required to maintain youthful mental function. By restoring lost pregnenolone, learning and short-term memory can be improved dramatically!
As stores of pregnenolone (and DHEA) are depleted with advancing age, we see a marked and often dramatic decline in the neuronal synchronization required for optimal mental function. Aging causes a severe deficiency pregnenolone and DHEA production.
Pregnenolone is the true “mother hormone,” made directly from cholesterol within the mitochondria. In addition to memory enhancement, a partial list of pregnenolone’s diverse benefits include:
- § There is no negative feedback loop. Once produced, pregnenolone leaves the mitochondria so it cannot inhibit its own synthesis.
- § Complete hormone balance. It does everything DHEA does and more. Unlike DHEA, pregnenolone readily converts into progesterone, a hormone essential to balance estrogen and reduce cancer risk, reduce “bad” cholesterol, build healthy bones and reduce the symptoms of menopause.
- § Enzyme repair. The cytochrome P-450 enzyme system is stimulated by the addition of pregnenolone. This enzyme system is important in neutralizing cellular toxins.
- § Protection from cortisol/cortisone. Cortisol levels increase with normal aging causing immune impairment, atherosclerosis, and neuronal injury. Pregnenolone protects against adrenal atrophy when withdrawing cortisone therapy. Pregnenolone helps protect against the effects of elevated cortisol including atrophy of the skin, osteoporosis, hot flashes in women and possibly adult-onset diabetes.
- § New studies show pregnenolone to be a specific memory-enhancing hormone!
- § Pregnenolone help maintain the “program” brain cells need to store and retrieve short-term memories.
- § Pregnenolone initiates the memory storage process by stimulating the enzyme adenylate cyciase, which is needed to regulate and activate other critical enzymes required for cellular energy.
- § Pregnenolone then regulates the timed-sequential flow of calcium ions through the cell. Calcium ion exchange has great formational content and may determine how memory is encoded by neurons.
- § Pregnenolone then modulates chemical reactions, calcium-protein bindings, gene activation, protein turnover, and the intra-cellular distribution of compounds and enzyme reactions involved in the storage and retrieval of memory.
- § In so doing, it increases the feeling of well-being and improves mood; reducing depression and the damaging effects of stress.
- § It is the precursor hormone from which other hormones- DHEA, estrogen, testosterone and progesterone are made.
- § Pregnenolone has been used successfully in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and other auto-immune diseases.